I have never been fond of tent footprints. I hardly ever use them and I definitely don’t pay $30 for them. However, if you must have a footprint, but don’t want to dip into your children’s college fund to buy one, there is a way to make one for cheap. All you need is a few items, sewing machine or needle and thread.
Items you will need
Tarp big enough to fit under your tent.
Access to a sewing machine or needle and thread.
- Set up your tent.
- Put the tarp under your tent and let it sit for a while to get rid of the wrinkles
- Mark each spot where the tent pole ends touch the tarp.
- Trace a line about 1 to 2 inches on the tarp on the outside of the tent
- Cut the tarp on the line. Make sure to leave about two extra inches around the marks you made where the tent poles touched.
- Fold the tarp over and set grommits on the marks where the tent poles touched.
- Fold the rest of the tarp about an inch or two inches (depending on how far out the line was) and sew a hemn.
- Voila! Instant footprint for a third of the price.